Friday, August 13, 2021 What's new and what's moved since you were last on campus
For true first-year students, you may not even notice. For upper-level students, you might have been away from campus much longer than this past summer.
As you step onto campus again, here's a few things that might catch your attention.
- Husker Hub is now located at 102 Canfield Administration Building and has both in-person and virtual services for Huskers.
- Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life has a new home. The team has moved one floor below their previous spot, to Nebraska Union, Room 222.
- Dinsdale Family Learning Commons, a part of the UNL Libraries system, is open on East Campus on the site of former CY Thompson Library. A brand-new Dunkin' will open inside in fall 2021.
- The department formerly called Student Involvement is now officially Student Leadership, Involvement, & Community Engagement. The team continues it's mission to provide assistance and resources the more than 500 Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) and offer weeknight and weekend activities, and has expanded it's resources to better connect RSOs with volunteer opportunities in the community and develop leadership skills.
- The University's Fall Career Fair will consist of both an in-person event September 21–24 and a virtual event October 12-13.
- Opening soon: New exit/entrance to Outside Workout Area, adjacent to East Campus's Rec & Wellness Center. The new doorway will allow exercisers to seamlessly transition from the inside strength area to the outside area and return, thus eliminating the previous hassle of exiting the main entrance, walking around to the fenced-in area, and using the exterior gate.
- After a year of virtual-only meetups, Dish-It-Up returns to weekly in-person gatherings at 12 p.m. every Tuesday in a new (and larger) spot: the Unity Room on the 2nd floor of Jackie Gaughan Multicultural Center. First date is August 24.
- Miller Hall was razed in Summer 2021. The removal enlarges the the common green park-like space between Nebraska East Union, Massengale Residential Center, Dinsdale Learning Commons, the UNL Dairy Store.
- NEW: Free bowling everyday for UNL students during regular open hours at Husker Bowling Center, located on the Nebraska East Union's first floor. Previously, free bowling was only offered on Fridays and select events. The bowling center re-opens August 17 and is open daily except Mondays.
- Six charging stations for electric vehicles have opened on campus. Two are located in the parking lot north of the Nebraska East Union; four are on 14th Street in parking spots west of Howard L. Hawks Hall.
- A newly-renovated Selleck Food Court is anticipated to open Sept 15, 2021. It includes the university's first gluten-free restaurant, as well as enhanced serving and seating areas. Use the Transact Mobile Dining app to order to-go meals and receive notification messages.
- Construction of the new Kiewet Hall has closed 17th Street north from Vine Street. Read here for details, FAQs, and updates. The new building associated with the College of Engineering will open in 2023.
- Husker Pantry is expanding to a 2nd location - inside the East Campus Visitors Center. Expected open date is after August 30, 2021. The original location will also remain on the first floor of University Health Center.
- Student Conduct & Community Standards is now found in Canfield Administration Building, Room 232.