Sunday, January 17, 2021 DOs and DON'Ts: What you need to know on the day of your saliva test
Watch how the testing process and app will work during the spring semester.
BEFORE YOUR TEST
- Drink lots of water so you’re adequately hydrated. You can drink water until 10 minutes before your appointment.
- Bring your smartphone. You’ll need to show the QR code in the app to check in.
- Bring a photo ID. This can be an NCard, driver’s license or passport.
- Eat or drink in the 30 minutes prior to your appointment. You also should not use mouthwash, chewing gum, tobacco products or nasal sprays.
AT THE TEST SITE: SALIVA COLLECTION
- Step away from the window to self-collect your sample.
- Open your test tubs and remove the straw wrapper. Place the straw in the test tube.
- Remove or adjust your face mask to uncover your mouth.
- Complete this action repeatedly:
- Relax your mouth and don’t swallow. Let saliva pool in your mouth and under your tongue.
- Bend over to let the saliva dribble into the straw from the sides of your mouth and under your tongue.
- Stand and repeat until you’ve reached the necessary sample.
- The liquid saliva - not including bubbles - should reach above the fill line on the test tube.
- When complete, remove the straw and close until you hear a click on the tube. Wipe the collection tube with the alcohol wipe.
- Replace your face mask to cover your mouth and nose.
- Give your sample to collection staff. The worker will inspect your sample. You may be asked to take the sample again if your sample doesn't have sufficient volume or has issues (read the DON'T section below).
- Throw away all trash items in the designated bins and use hand sanitizer before leaving.
- If you have questions, signal to the staff so they can assist you.
- Don’t cough or sniff while letting saliva pool in your mouth.
- Don’t pull from the back of your throat or prepare to spit.
- Don’t blow or force saliva into the straw.
- Don't include chunks of mucus, food particles, or beverage residue.
- Check the app often to ensure your test is received and processed, most likely within 24 hours.
- Watch for your status card to change to “Access Granted.”
- Pay attention to notifications from the app to know when to schedule your next test.
- Continue to be vigilant in your safety precautions: wash your hands, watch your distance, wear a face covering.
RELATED: Safer Community mobile app available for download.
RELATED: CHECKLIST: How to sign up for your COVID-19 test