Monday, August 8, 2022 Back-to-School Countdown: Only 2 weeks to go. 10 things to do now.
Only two weeks remain until the fall semester begins on August 22, 2022. Here are some things you can do in the coming days to jump-start your return to campus, minimize delays, and prepare for a strong academic year start.
- Order your books.
Use the Campus Bookstore’s website to pre-order textbooks by using your specific class schedule or by individual course.
- If you need a new NCard, apply for it now.
Use the easy online form to enter your info and upload your headshot photo. You’ll receive an email when your new card is ready for pick up.
- Get a parking permit. UNL Parking & Transit Services has a handy online Student Parking Permit Purchase Guide that explains the various permit options and costs. It also walks you through the steps of ordering online. If you need assistance, call 402-472-1800.
- Set yourself on the path for success with academic coaching.
The Center for Academic Success and Transition (CAST) coaches provide support to undergraduate students by helping to strengthen academic skills. The coaches build supportive relationships with you to identify areas for enhancement, learn study and life skills, and create action plans. Schedule your 1-on-1 appointment.
- Contact your roommate(s) to finalize items to pack and begin discussing expectations of one another.
Determine which of you is bringing each item so you don't overpack or forget an item. Being prepared now averts the need for emergency shopping trips after you move in and/or having duplicate items in your room.
Also, before you arrive, have a conversation to create an isolation plan in case either of you becomes ill. This will ensure that you're on the same page and know how to support one another.
- Visit HuskerTech to make sure you’re up-to-date on your computer software and hardware.
Check out their handy online list of the laptop, software, and tablet requirements for select majors and colleges to make sure you know what you may need to start the semester. Software can only be ordered online, yet you can shop for other items in person at the on-campus computer shop in the lower-level of the Nebraska Union.
- Sign up for mail forwarding at your local post office or online.
This is a quick task to check off the list before you move to campus or elsewhere in Lincoln. It only takes a few minutes and will prevent delays in important letters and bills arriving. Here’s a step-by-step online guide that makes it easy.
- Install the NEBRASKA app on your mobile device.
Within this UNL-specific app, you have a lot of essential campus information at your fingertips, including maps, your class schedule, notifications & alerts, and the complete Big Red Welcome calendar of events.
- Sign up for an Off-Campus Meal Plan.
Students not living in a university residence hall are still eligible to purchase a meal plan for the campus dining centers – ensuring you have a reliable source of fresh and ready meals. Compare the plans and select one that best fits your needs. Also, you can add handy Dining Dollars to use when ordering food in the Transact Mobile Dining app.
- Transfer your prescriptions to the University Health Center pharmacy.
Save time and hassle by filling your prescriptions on campus. UHC offers mobile app refills, 60- and 90-day supplies, and free mail-order options. To transfer a prescription, call 402-472-7457 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday–Friday) and the pharmacy team will get you set up. It's helpful to have the prescription bottle handy when you call as the pharmacy team will ask you questions about the information on the label.