Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Council
We’re building capacity together. Join and lead the process.
As a collaborative learning experience and assembly of staff members who advance diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), the Student Affairs DEI Council is an opportunity to engage in and lead as a small cohort that champions and sustains DEI learning, education, and training among the division.
Councilmembers serve a 2-year appointment, which begins with teambuilding and identifying council goals before selecting, developing, and implementing DEI projects or initiatives. Serving on the council is a highly participatory commitment that will require pre-meeting preparation and in-meeting contribution at times.
The council will meet 3-5 times per semester and follow a 3-month calendar per semester: October to December (Fall), January to March (Spring), May to July (Summer). All other dates will be determined upon selection and confirmation of councilmembers. Total time commitment will be approximately 5-8 hours per month.
This council is intended for staff members who meet the following criteria:
- Current full-time staff members in Student Affairs at UNL.
- Show aptitude or curiosity for and commitment to advancing DEI in the Student Affairs division.
- Have immediate supervisor and director approval and support.
- Available to attend meetings and meet engagement requirements listed in Student Affairs DEI Councilmember Commitment on the application
Application for 2023-25 is now closed. Application for the next term 2025-27 will open in 2025.
Discussion topics may include but are not limited to:
- Cultural humility
- Intercultural competence
- Identity development
- Inclusive practices
- Critical thinking/empathy
- Emerging issues in diversity, equity and inclusion
- Social justice
Session Dates for 2023-24
- First session: October 4, 2023
- All other sessions TBD based on council availability.