Wednesday, March 17, 2021 On-campus, outdoor activities to connect you with nature this spring
by Kirsten Wandrey | Student Affairs
Now that the weather is warming up, you'll probably find yourself itching to get outside. Luckily, there are many convenient options for outdoor activities around campus. Whether you want to simply soak in the sun or work up a sweat, there's something you'll have a blast doing.
- Stroll around the East Campus Maxwell Arboretum to see many different species of trees, flowers and other plants awakening for springtime.
- Visit the open-air Fitness Court located across the street from Knoll Residential Center to fit in a workout at any hour. The space has instructions for downloading an app with customized exercise circuits designed specifically for the Fitness Court.
- Have a picnic with friends at any of the large, grassy fields on campus. Some examples are the garden on the south-facing side of Love Library or the field between Neihardt Hall and Willa Cather Dining Complex.
- Go kayaking, canoeing or paddleboarding at a nearby lake– you can now rent equipment from the Outdoor Adventures Center using their online reservation portal.
- Rent a bike from the BikeLNK station out front of the Nebraska Union, or from the OAC, and go for a ride around campus or down the trail leading to the Bob Devaney Center. You can take it easy or push yourself, whichever biking style you prefer. For a fun group setting, attend any of the OAC's Ice Cream Bike Rides, happening every Thursday from March 25 to April 22, 2021.
- If you have a sport you like to play, round up some friends and head to any of the on-campus recreation areas. These spots have courts for tennis, basketball, volleyball and soccer, depending on which location you visit.