Monday, February 24, 2020 5 steps to deal with a stressful moment
When you find yourself stressed out about upcoming tests, your job, or an assignment you haven’t even started, remember stress is a natural part of life and you will encounter it from time to time. Some stressful situations are unavoidable, yet others can be minimized, and it takes a shift in perception to help you to handle them effectively.
Simple steps to help minimize stress in the moment:
- Stop what you are doing.
- Take a deep breath and remind yourself that this feeling is temporary.
- Write a list of the things/tasks you have to do.
- Assess the items you wrote and set your priorities.
- Take action.
If stress continues to intensify and is happening more frequently, be proactive and use campus resources to help you. Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is a professionally-trained team of psychologists and counselors who work with Nebraska students to help them explore their feelings and thoughts and learn helpful ways to improve their mental and emotional well-being when issues arise.
- Visit the CAPS office in University Health Center, Suite 223. Open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- Schedule a personal appointment by phone at 402-472-7450 (appointments can be made only by phone or in-person).